Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reflection on Lesson Plan One

What I learned from designing this first lesson plan was the importance of breaking down material in terms that students can understand. Through following standards and guidelines, ultimately I was able to create a lesson with the student in mind. Ultimately, I chose a topic that was interesting to me as a student (made it easier to break down the necessary elements) and followed the outline provided. It was interesting to see how specific the Sunshine State Standards are, which as a student, I was never even aware existed. Although I do not plan on teaching in Florida, I do know other states follow guidelines as well. The idea of using a concept map was intriguing, as it allowed for easy assessment on whether or not students understood the material. I can honestly say that I was not aware so much went in to the planning process for a lesson.

What I would like to know more about is that guidelines in other areas of the country are. Are there similar planning processes? Are lessons as detailed as this? As I stated before, I really like the idea of concept mapping, however I am unfamiliar with how to relate concept mapping in areas outside of English. As my mind is geared towards English and history more, I would be interested to see how other classmates interpreted the assignment and how they created concept map lessons outside of the subject of English.

No comments:

Post a Comment